Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Music Blog: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed






I woke up this morning with the intention of not blogging today.  Not just because I wasn’t inspired, but I don’t want to become redundant and obnoxious.  Then I thought about my original intent for this page, which was to document the thoughts, sights and sound of the world, as it filters through me.  So this morning I want to share what is oh so special to me. MUSIC! So, journey with me as I give you Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed.


This morning there was a song resonating in my head that completely mesmerized me as a young musician.  Riding in the white Honda Accord sitting on hammers, with my good friend Coleman Woodson (@CWoodsonIII) he pops in a CD by a cat named Myron. The tracks were galactic. And Cole’s Sony system always did justice to good mixes.  Myron never reached mainstream acclaim, but allow me to share two of my favorite songs from his 2000 release, Destiny. You may have heard of the self titled single Destiny, followed by Heavenly Girl. My Lawd!




SOMETHING NEW
So while I’m gathering info to blog on these old songs, I decide to search for any new releases from Myron, as my previous attempts were unsuccessful.     And to my surprise I came across Myron and The Works featuring Meshell  Ndegeocello and Robert Glasper Charles Hayes.  I immediately clicked purchase, and shortly after that PLAY! This session album quickly put me in a groove, as it reminds me of an RH Factor.  So here is my fav on there….Go get it!



SOMETHING BORROWED
R&B is full of recycled music, and I enjoy it.  It reincarnates the souls of previous legends with a dose of HGH to make it modern and relevant.  Going back to Coles white Honda, the thing he admired most about Myron’s single Destiny, was that it contained a sample from Herbie Hancock’s “Sunlight.”  The sample is from a tune called Please Come Running To Me. Cuh, to this day that is one of my favorite songs. Check it out….Something Borrowed!


Logging Off.....Wolfgang!

No comments:

Post a Comment