Monday, January 30, 2012

Give, And It Shall Be Given!


This past summer, I had the opportunity to read Russell Simmons (@UncleRush) newest writing Super Rich.  Over the years, I have acquired a liking to the thoughts and actions of Simmons stemming from his success and his actions for the hip hop community.  His influence is so powerful, it has transcended hip hop and is changing the world.

In Super Rich, Simmons teaches readers that true wealth is internal and once it is tapped into, it has eternal ramifications.  Once one gains a spiritual and/or psychological perspective on life, it will in turn affect and benefit the physical life.  One of the keys to becoming Super Rich is realizing that you don't need ANYTHING.


Also in the book, readers are educated on the importance of Dharma (service).  We are here on this Earth to serve.  How many times do we hear people complain about going to work or boast about chasing a dollar?  On the path to becoming Super Rich, you should first, find your service to the world, love it, then give it to the world until you can't give it anymore.  With this mindset, you will make yourself attractive to money, and it will FIND YOU!

Being a full time musician, I should wake up working on my service to the world, whether it is practicing or performing.  Instead of chasing the next dime, focus on the things that make me WORTH the next DOLLAR.  Performing music with a pure heart is far more fulfilling than receiving a check with impure intentions.  Don't get me wrong, I NEED THE MONEY.  But I won't allow my talents to be a prisoner to money.


Now that I'm done preaching, one of the most fulfilling things I do during my week is coaching Tank's (my youngest son) Upward Basketball team. When I wake up and realize its time to coach or practice I get excited. I get fulfillment from seeing the excitment of the kids.  Instilling confidence and knowledge into the minds of youth gives me personal satisfaction.  Participation in something so innocent provides me a contentment and solitude that the chase of money can't give.

In closing, there is more to life than money.  Find your service/services to the world and give it until you can't give it anymore.  Love what you do, and do it with gladness.  This perspective will make your being attractive to riches, and in turn everything you need to survive WILL FIND YOU!



Below are pictures from our UNDEFEATED basketball team.  Photos by TJ Photography www.tjphotography23.com




No comments:

Post a Comment